RE: BUG #17636: terminating connection because of crash of another server process

От Chaurasia Sujeet
Тема RE: BUG #17636: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hi,

We've upgraded postgres to postgres13, and no extension is configured in postgresql on the server, Yet it again crashed again, and there is no antivirus on the server.

Since the problem happens randomly and we are not able to recreate the problem ourselves. and the log shows no query or details as to what caused the crash. we just get a message that one PID of postgres.exe exited with code 0, which makes it difficult to even troubleshoot.

According to the article you shared, we set up the minidump for the random crash, but we didn't find the dump in the crashdumps directory.

We followed the highlighted part below from this article, as the crash dump handler is already included in the postgresql as per the article. so any crash dump should get generated in the crashdumps directory.

If the crashes appear to be random and you don't know how to trigger them, it's hard to connect a debugger to the problem postgres.exe before it crashes.
Setting your debugger as the JIT (just-in-time) or post-mortem debugger won't help you, because PostgreSQL generally runs as a service under a different user account that cannot interact with the desktop. You could always initdb a new cluster under your normal user account and use pg_ctl to start the postmaster with that cluster manually, so you can JIT debug under your own user account where Pg can interact with the desktop. This isn't suitable for production use, though, and you might not be able to reproduce the problem that way.
In PostgreSQL 9.0 and above there is a crash dump hander included in PostgreSQL. To use it:
  • Create a directory named crashdumps (all lower case) in the PostgreSQL data directory (as shown by SHOW data_directory; in psql)
  • Give the PostgreSQL user (postgres by default) "full control" of it in the security tab of the folder properties
  • Run the problem code. You don't need to restart Pg or change any settings.
  • When a backend crashes, a Windows minidump should be created in the crashdumps directory.

Please help us to know if there is any other step here to generate a crash dump as the issue is random and we are not aware of the cause that is making postgres.exe crash.

Thanks,
Sujeet