Re: IDE x SAS RAID 0 on HP DL 380 G5 P400i controller performance problem

От Scott Carey
Тема Re: IDE x SAS RAID 0 on HP DL 380 G5 P400i controller performance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
If you are using ext3, your performance on the RAID card may also improve if the postgres xlog is not on the same partition as the data.  Otherwise, for every transaction commit, all of the data on the whole partition will have to be sync()'d not just the xlog.

Also, what is the performance difference between all the inserts in one script if you do:

* all your statements in the script
vs.
* first line is "BEGIN;"  then all your statements, then "COMMIT;" at the end?

If these two are about the same on your old IDE drive, then your I/O stack (file system + OS + hardware) is lying to you about fsync().  The latter should be a lot faster on your RAID card if write-back caching is not on.