Re: Insert waiting for update?

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: Insert waiting for update?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> I am having table with 4M rows.
> I am trying to update all these rows with statement
>
> update mytable set mycolumn=0;
>
> At the same time there are insert happening on the table.
> but all these insert are in waiting mode.
> does update is locking the table for insert?
>
> does insert and update confilict with each other?

Not normally, but it can happen.

You could

SELECT l.locktype, t.relname, l.pid, l.transactionid, l.mode, l.granted
FROM pg_catalog.pg_locks l LEFT OUTER JOIN
     pg_catalog.pg_class t ON l.relation = t.oid;

and

SELECT procpid, current_query FROM pg_stat_activity;

while the inserts hang. Maybe the result will indicate why.

Are there any triggers or rules defined?
What indexes are defined on the table?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe