Re: Insert waiting for update?

От Ashish Karalkar
Тема Re: Insert waiting for update?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
ont: inherit;">Thanks for the replayI think you missed on second detail=
 mail :For more details:I have two tables maste=
r,child.with child having fk to master.Now
that master table contains 4M rows . while I update them (Master table)
the inserts are going into waiting mode on child table.Update&n=
bsp;
acquired row exclusive lock on master table  , and the insert on child
table acquired access share and share lock,row share on master. Is
this is what preventing for inserting records into child table, I mean
is the row exclusive lock conflicting with the locks insert(which is again =
row exclusive log) wants to
hold?With RegardsAshish...--- On Wed, 9/=
1/08, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:<bl=
ockquote style=3D"border-left: 2px solid rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px=
; padding-left: 5px;">From: Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at><br=
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Insert waiting for update?To: ashish_postgre@ya=
hoo.co.in, "pggeneral" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>Cc: ashish.k=
aralkar@netcore.co.inDate: Wednesday, 9 January, 2008, 8:53 PM<=
pre>Ashish Karalkar wrote:> I am having table with 4M rows.> =
I am trying to update all these rows with statement> > update=
 mytable set mycolumn=3D0;> > At the same time there are inse=
rt happening on the table.> but all these insert are in waiting mode=
. > does update is locking the table for insert?> > do=
es insert and update confilict with each other?Not normally, but
 it can happen.You couldSELECT l.locktype, t.relname, l.pid=
, l.transactionid, l.mode, l.grantedFROM pg_catalog.pg_locks l LEFT OUT=
ER JOIN     pg_catalog.pg_class t ON l.relation =3D t.oid;and<b=
r>SELECT procpid, current_query FROM pg_stat_activity;while the=
 inserts hang. Maybe the result will indicate why.Are there any tri=
ggers or rules defined?What indexes are defined on the table?Yo=
urs,Laurenz Albe-------------------=
--------(end of broadcast)---------------------------TIP 9: In versions=
 below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to       choose an inde=
x scan if your joining column's datatypes do not       match</blo=
ckquote>

       Chat on a cool, new interface. No downloa=
d required. <a href=3D"http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_webmessenger_10/*http=
://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php">Click here.