Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:
>>> I'm not necessarily opposed to commandeering the name "smart" for the
>>> new behavior, so that what we have to find a name for is the old "smart"
>>> behavior.  How about
>>>
>>>        slow    - allow existing sessions to finish (old "smart")
>>>        smart   - allow existing transactions to finish (new)
>>>        fast    - kill active queries
>>>        immediate - unclean shutdown
>>
>> I could live with that.  Really, I'd like to have fast just be the
>> default.  But the above compromise would still be a big improvement
>> over what we have now, assuming the new smart becomes the default.
>
> Should this new shutdown mode wait for online backup like old "smart" does?

I think it shouldn't; I like to think of it as some kind of "quite fast"
shutdown (provided there are no long-running transactions).

And I still think that we should choose a name different from "smart"
to indicate that something has changed, even if it is the new default.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe