Re: Maximum number of client connection supported by Postgres 8.4.6

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: Maximum number of client connection supported by Postgres 8.4.6
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jenish Vyas wrote:
[unexpectedly runs out of connections]
> Exact Error Message is as follow..
>
>  [ERROR] Error getting DB connection: The connection attempt failed.
>  [ERROR] Action commit error: Out of database connections.
>
> This is the output I am getting form application server, On database
end I am getting nothing.

> plz suggest.

Please try not to top-post.

Both of those error messages are not form PostgreSQL, so they don't help
much.
You might get more in the database log if you set
log_connections = on
in postgresql.conf and reload (make sure that log_min_messages is
"fatal" or lower).

It also wouldn't hurt to try and count the actual connections when you
hit the
problem (SELECT count(*) FROM pg_stat_activity) and check if that's
close to
max_connections.

Have you considered the possibility that the limit and the error do not
originate in that database, but in the application server?

> If possible guide me how to calculate max_connections based on
available hardware.

It is almost unlimited on any hardware. That does not mean that things
will
perform well beyond a certain limit. The limiting factor I mentioned is
the
operating system, and these limits can usually be adjusted.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe