pgAgent suggestions

От Albe Laurenz
Тема pgAgent suggestions
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Dear list,

we are considering to use pgAdmin for job scheduling.

When you configure an SQL job step, you can configure a database
on which the script should run, but you cannot specify a database user.

We'd like to define schedules for various database users, and
while it would be possible to work around that limitation by
writing some wrapper functions in the database, the best thing
from our perspective would be to enhance pgAgent (and pgAdmin III)
to support a database user that pgAgent uses to connect to
execute a certain job step.

Is that an option? I think it would be a valuable addition,
and it would alleviate one of the "security concerns" stated
in the documentation.

While I am in wish mode:
- We run PostgreSQL on Linux servers which do not have pgAdmin III installed. The dependency on wx-Widgets is painful
ifall you want to do is build a standalone pgAgent. I understand that wx-Widgets is used for OS abstraction, but...

- It would be nice to have some kind of "retry" mechanism for job steps, which makes pgAgent pause a little and then
retrythe step. After a certain number of retries it should fail.

- It would be nice if entries in pga_joblog and pga_jobsteplog would be purged after a certain number of days.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe