Re: Block-level CRC checks

От Albe Laurenz
Тема Re: Block-level CRC checks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jonah H. Harris wrote:

>>> IMHO, this is a functionality that should be enabled by default (as it
>>> is on most other RDBMS).  It would've prevented severe corruption in
>>
>> What other RDMS have it enabled by default?
>
> Oracle and (I belive) SQL Server >= 2005

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28320/initparams046.htm#sthref130

Oracle claims that it introduces only 1% to 2% overhead.

Actually I suggested the same feature for 8.3:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-08/msg01003.php

It was eventually rejected because the majority felt that it
would be a small benefit (only detects disk corruption and not
software bugs) that would not justify the overhead and the
additional code.

Incidently, Oracle also has a parameter DB_BLOCK_CHECKING
that checks blocks for logical consistency. This is OFF by default,
but Oracle recommends that you activate it if you can live with
the performance impact.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe