Re: 7.3.4 on Linux: UPDATE .. foo=foo+1 degrades massivly

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: 7.3.4 on Linux: UPDATE .. foo=foo+1 degrades massivly
Дата
Re: 7.3.4 on Linux: UPDATE .. foo=foo+1 degrades massivly  ("Glen Parker" <glenebob@nwlink.com>)
Список pgsql-general

When I say commit or rollback, I don't need the dead records any longer.

> >Something is very, very strange about the whole PostgreSQL
> maintenance
> >model.
> >
> Giving the administrator full control over database
> management is a good
> thing.
> If you want to write a cron job, to purge records
> automaticaly, thats your prerogative. Not every one needs to,
> nor want's to constantly purge records.
>
> Most of my databases collect information and changing
> information in them would be taboo. Since records are not
> updated or deleted their is no reason to vacuum the
> collection tables, and they collect between 400 K to 40 M
> records per period.

The same sort of argument can be made for optimizer decisions.  If I sat
and thought about it, once in a while I could outguess the planner.  But
I would much rather have the planner do it for me, even if it is not
totally optimal once in a while.

> >Oracle uses MVCC and I do not have to UPDATE STATISTICS
> constantly to
> >keep the system from going into the toilet.
> >
> Does Oracle purge records automaticaly?
> If so how do you configure it, and what are the default parameters?
>
> >Also, I should be able to do an update on every row in a
> database table
> >without causing severe problems.  Every other database
> system I know of
> >does not have this problem.
> >
> >If I have a million row table with a column called
> is_current, and I do
> >this:
> >UPDATE tname SET is_current = 0;
> >Horrible things happen.
> >
> >Just an idea:
> >Why not recognize that more rows will be modified than the
> row setting
> >can support and actually break the command into batches internally?
> >
> It sounds like you have significant hardware limitations.
>
> I have a database I use for traffic analysys, that has over
> 40,000,000
> records, I have
> done some complicated queries with multiple subselects and joins. The
> complicated
> queries take a long time to complete, but they work. I have also done
> updates that
> affected at least 5% of the records, then vacuumed the table shortly
> there after.
>
> The bigger the table the more "scatch pad" disk space, and
> memory you need.

I think that the problems I am seeing are due to using a much older
version of PostgreSQL.  We use 7.1.3 here, because we have thoroughly
tested it (many thousands of tests are in our regression suite).  But if
I delete too many records, the only way I can reclaim the space is to
drop the table.

We are working with the beta of 7.5 and perhaps it will cure all the
ills that remain.