Replication question

От Dann Corbit
Тема Replication question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
When replication is implemented, what is going to happen with database
systems that rely heavily on sequences for primary keys?

For example, consider this simple table:

CREATE SEQUENCE "IntervalType_IntervalTypeID_seq" start 1 increment 1
maxvalue 2147483647 minvalue 1  cache 1 ;

CREATE TABLE "IntervalType" ("IntervalTypeID" integer DEFAULT
nextval('"IntervalType_IntervalTypeID_seq"'::text) NOT NULL,"IntervalTypeDescription" character
varying(255),"MaximumValue"integer,"FrequencyUnits" double precision,Constraint "PK_IntervalType" Primary Key
("IntervalTypeID")
);

Now, when we replicate this table to other systems, will the sequence
parameters also flow to the targets?

A more interesting question is what happens if we need to revert to a
prior version (where -- for instance -- the maximum value of the
sequence was smaller than it is right now).  Will the target system have
the sequence value reduced?