Re: Pg default's verbosity?

От nik9000@gmail.com
Тема Re: Pg default's verbosity?
Дата
Re: Pg default's verbosity?  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I've always used -1-f - < file.sql. It is confusing that -1 doesn't warn you when it wont work though.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 16, 2012, at 3:42 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:

> Hello pgdev,
>
> (Second attempt)
>
> I've conducted a statistical study about PostgreSQL use in OSS. One of the result is that quite a few projects have
errorsin their SQL setup scripts which lead to some statements to be ignored, typically somme ADD CONSTRAINTS which do
notchange the database schema from a functional point of view, or syntactic errors (typically a mysql syntax...) that
> result in missing tables, but which are not found if the application is not fully tested.
>
> I think that there are two reasons why these errors are not caught by application developers:
>
> (1) the default verbosity is set to "notice", which is much to high. The users just get used to seeing a lot of
messageson loading an sql script, and to ignore them, so that errors are just hidden in the flow of notices. I think
thata better default setting would be "warnings", that is messages that require some attention from the developer.