Re: Pg default's verbosity?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Pg default's verbosity?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 12:00:20AM -0400, nik9000@gmail.com wrote:
> I've always used -1-f - < file.sql. It is confusing that -1 doesn't warn you when it wont work though.

This will be fixed in 9.3 with this commit:
commit be690e291d59e8d0c9f4df59abe09f1ff6cc0da9Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>Date:   Thu Aug 9 09:59:45
2012-0400    Make psql -1 < file behave as expected.    Previously, the -1 option was silently ignored.    Also, emit
anerror if -1 is used in a context where it won't be    respected, to avoid user confusion.    Original patch by Fabien
COELHO,but this version is quite different    from the original submission.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 16, 2012, at 3:42 AM, Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
>

> > Hello pgdev,
> >
> > (Second attempt)
> >
> > I've conducted a statistical study about PostgreSQL use in OSS. One of the result is that quite a few projects have
errorsin their SQL setup scripts which lead to some statements to be ignored, typically somme ADD CONSTRAINTS which do
notchange the database schema from a functional point of view, or syntactic errors (typically a mysql syntax...) that

> > result in missing tables, but which are not found if the application is not fully tested.
> >
> > I think that there are two reasons why these errors are not caught by application developers:
> >
> > (1) the default verbosity is set to "notice", which is much to high. The users just get used to seeing a lot of
messageson loading an sql script, and to ignore them, so that errors are just hidden in the flow of notices. I think
thata better default setting would be "warnings", that is messages that require some attention from the developer.

> > (2) the default behavior of psql on errors is to keep going. Developers of SQL script that are expected to work
shoudbe advised to: