Re: New archives layout is not an improvement

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: New archives layout is not an improvement
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Apr 18, 2018, at 10:39 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

HI Alvaro,

On Apr 18, 2018, at 4:56 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

4. Another point is that we don't really need to display the email
addresses of people listed in From, To, CC fields; they look like just
clutter (plus we're probably feeding the spammers).  How about we lose
them?  So instead of

Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>,Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>,Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>,Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,Anthony Iliopoulos <ailiop(at)altatus(dot)com>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin(at)gmail(dot)com>,PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>

we would have
Cc: Tomas Vondra, Christophe Pettus, Craig Ringer, Thomas Munro, Andrew Gierth, Robert Haas, Anthony Iliopoulos, Tom Lane, Catalin Iacob, PostgreSQL Hackers

(if we really wanted to keep the email addresses, maybe they could be in
a tooltip on each name instead?)

Or (hear me out) given what we know about email and anti-spam technology
today, we could use anchor tags…

I do like the name idea. However given a quick glance at the code, it looks like
we’d have to do some nontrivial post-processing work based on how all of that
is stored.  Now, we already do some nontrivial post-processing work to handle
the email obfuscation as seen above, so perhaps we can put this on the table.

Anyway, to argue the other side of “leave it as is” part of the mail archives is
to see who sent the email and from where.  We could accomplish that with
something like a tool tip (feeling eh about this; I find unless you make a
tooltip obvious people don’t use it) or with the anchor/mailto work, which
has the added benefit of being a URL and in most browsers acts as a tooltip.

Thought about this a bit, perhaps a happy medium is:

That way, the name renders, there is the “tooltip,” and there is an anchor tag
without the real email in it.

In the case where there is no name, we would just render the email in its
place i.e.:

Thoughts?

Jonathan

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: New archives layout is not an improvement
Сообщение: Re: New archives layout is not an improvement