Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> On Aug 6, 2018, at 12:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
>> FWIW I’m thinking of something like:
>
>> `/docs/release-notes/release-X-Y(-Z)?.html`
>
>> and have them all live there. Of course the docs themselves would still
>> have their copy of the release notes, but we could at least have a single
>> repository of all the releases, which I do see on other OSS projects.
>
> I'm imagining this being a repo of only the obsolete branches' release
> notes, not the active ones.  Otherwise we are talking about maintaining
> two copies of active release note files (because of the xref problem).
> I personally will flat out refuse to do that; the overhead of maintaining
> the relnotes is high enough already.

Well I want to make this easier, not harder. Thinking about the process of
maintaining all, no matter what, I see making it more complicated for someone,
so I will drop that for now.

> Maybe you could make the website look like that without any manual effort
> using a reverse redirection rule (redirecting from this new area back
> into the standard docs, for pages belonging to active branches).  But that
> seems pretty confusing, and prone to redirection loops if we also have the
> other thing.

Agreed.

So perhaps `/docs/archive/release-notes/release-X-Y-(-Z)?.html` will be where
they live.

I can make a quick prototype of this on pgweb just to see how easy it is to get
the release notes up in it. Basically, once the archived ones are in pgweb, we
would not need to have to build them anymore.

Jonathan

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal
Сообщение: Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal