Re: FreeBSD & Shared Memory

От Bender, Cheryl
Тема Re: FreeBSD & Shared Memory
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Michael;

What version of FreeBSD?  What version of PostGres?
On my server, running FreeBSD 5.1 and pg 7.3, the values are

kern.ipc.shmmax: 33554432
kern.ipc.shmmin: 1
kern.ipc.shmmni: 192
kern.ipc.shmseg: 128
kern.ipc.shmall: 8192
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys: 0
shm    30    35K     38K     4653  16,1024,16384

I found this script (
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/pgsql/contrib/ipc_check/ ) for
freebsd that checks if changes are needed to shared memory settings for
the number of Buffers requested.  The postmaster man page says the
default buffers are 64, so I ran it with the -B 64 switch and it gave me
the following output

Bash2.05b$./ipc_check -B 64

shared memory enabled: 32768 kB available

no changes to kernel required for a "-B 64" setting

semaphores enabled

Hopefully someone with a lot more experience than me will answer soon
with a better answer, but maybe this will get you started.   Good luck!

Cheryl