Re: Need help with quote escaping in exim for postgresql

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: Need help with quote escaping in exim for postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jul 11, 2006, at 6:29 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>>> SQL_ASCII may also be an option (assign no special meaning to
>>> characters at all), but I'm less sure of that. Can email address
>>> contain multibyte characters? I didn't think so...
>>
>> E-Mail addreses themselves can't, but the "comment" field of an
>> address can.
>
> The comment field itself, in RFC2822 addresses is ascii. However
> there is
> a hack, by which this ascii string may be interpretted as
> representing a
> string in another encoding. I don't remember the number of the RFC
> describing
> how this works, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

RFC 1522. Whether you'd want to open that can of worms
by decoding headers in that format to some other character
set for email is a good question (especially as a lot of spam
has headers that end up containing illegal characters if
you do that).

If you were to do that you'd probably have to deal with
i18n domain name encoding too, which is even more hideous.

Fortunately all this stuff is MUA-side, not MTA-side, so exim
should ignore it. SQL_ASCII all the way.

Cheers,
   Steve