Re: In memory Database for postgres

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: In memory Database for postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general

From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of aravind chandu
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 11:11 AM
To: postgresql Forums
Subject: [GENERAL] In memory Database for postgres

Hello,

              I guess most of you guys heard about In Memory Database.I have a small question regarding it.I need to create an In Memory Database for postgresql through which I have to perform various operations on postgresql  database(queries,procedures,programs using pqxx API etc...).I didn't have any idea of how to start and where to start this issue.Please comment on this issue,so that it will be really helpful to me .

If you have lots of memory on your system, PostgreSQL will hold the frequently used tables in memory.  So the burning question is:

What do you really want to do this for?

There are existing in memory database systems with a free license like PostgreSQL:

FastDB:

http://www.garret.ru/databases.html

MonetDB:

http://monetdb.cwi.nl/

FastDB is an embedded, single writer – multiple reader type solution.

MonetDB is a column oriented database, especially suitable for database warehouse designs.

There are additional solutions found in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-memory_database

Now, I think it would be very nice to have in-memory or column oriented tables in PostgreSQL, but that would be a heavy-duty major difficult project.

If you are volunteering to take that on, I suspect it is going to be harder than you think, and if you want someone else to do it, I guess it is not on the horizon yet.

<<