Re: Selecting a constant question

От Dann Corbit
Тема Re: Selecting a constant question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Not when the data itself is a constant that cannot be changed.

> There are many times you won't know
> beforehand how big the data is, surely the framework should be smart
> enough to handle these cases?

If it were impossible to know the size of a string constant supplied in
the query, then I think I would agree with you here.  However, it seems
to me that the maximum possible size of such a known, constant-width
string is not hard to determine.

> Start the width at 100, if it turns out to be too small, make it
> bigger...

If that were a good idea, then why report data sizes at all?  Just let
it always be a surprise when it comes streaming down the pipe.

Honestly, I cannot fathom this answer.