Re: Win32 Backend Cash - pre-existing shared memory block is still in use

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Win32 Backend Cash - pre-existing shared memory block is still in use
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 25 Aug 2010, at 7:39, Jeremy Palmer wrote:

> Thanks for the tips. I would move to LINUX if it was an option :(

I'd say if your memory requirements are really as high as you suggest, then anything that allows you to run a 64-bit
versionof Postgres is a better option than 32-bit Windows. Be that Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, etc, maybe even OS/400.

Especially if your database requires good performance, Windows is known to be a significantly non-optimal choice.

So saying Linux is not an option really reduces your problem to choosing between getting it to work with a lot lower
memoryfootprint or not at all. Are those viable options?

<Windows rant>
I have to work on a Windows PC these days. For Christ's sake, how long have they had the opportunity to fix basic flaws
likescroll-bars not working properly (if you drag one and slip off the bottom part of the window it's back on top
again)?Or mouse scrolling when using the scroll wheel over a piece of user-interface that doesn't have focus (Answer;
installkatmouse)? Or basic file-system performance? Or detaching a USB-keyboard without halting the OS for a second?
</Windows-rant>

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4c74b77710405088597927!