database is growing... 1GB per day basis

От Karayappalli, Raghunath (Raghu)
Тема database is growing... 1GB per day basis
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Hello, my name is raghu. I work for Avaya. We uses postgres as database in our application. Our application is a jboss based enterprise application, that does some updates operations based on requests from client. We use entities and hibernate for data access within our application.

I have couple of questions, as listed:

1.       We observe that database is growing very fast – many sets of files with size more than 1 GB. Please see some sample snippets of the file lists:

This does not happen regular basis. However, we have a few instances of this incidence, and pretty much blocked on this. What could be causing this? What can be done to diagnose/ resolve this issue? We are running out of disk space in our box quite quickly due to this issue. Any thoughts please?

2.       One of our table has columns for LOB. All other tables are of primary types (there are a few sting/ varchar types as well). I understand that postgres maintains large data objects in pg_largeobject. Is there a way to find the data within those table? How can I find out the corresponding table information or row corresponding to this large data maintained/ managed in pg_largeobject? I also hear about pg_toast… wot is the relation between pg_toast and pg_largeobject?

I would appreciate your early response and help very much!

thanks/ regards,

raghu