[REQUEST] Change Windows standard distribution to Visual Studio 2015 for PostgreSQL 10 and later

От Hans Buschmann
Тема [REQUEST] Change Windows standard distribution to Visual Studio 2015 for PostgreSQL 10 and later
Дата
Список pgsql-general

I use Postgres on Windows 64 bit (8.1,10,WS2012R2,WS2016) for quite a while.
I always install and upgrade from the ZIP binary distribution from enterpriseDB which works like a charm.

In a recent fresh install I noticed that PostgreSQL 9.6.2 (older versions not tested anymore) requires Visual C++ 2013 Runtime library to be installed.

It seems all binaries are linked against msvcr120.dll (verified with ProcExplorer of Sysinternals).

I propose to switch to Visual Studio 2015 for the next distribution:

- no more install of > 5 years old runtime library
- seems to need no extra runtime library on newer systems (there is no msvcr140.dll after installation of VCR 2015)
- when needed, VC Runtime Library 2015 is the same requirement as for recent Apache 2.4.xx versions
- VS2015 build is already member of the build farm
- I could easyly test the beta on recent Windows 64 OSs

BTW, nowhere in the current documentation is mentioned the requirement of the VC++ runtime library installation.

Thanks in advance

Hans Buschmann