Re: Cognitive dissonance

От John Gage
Тема Re: Cognitive dissonance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thank you all for your suggestions.  Thank you very much.

John

1) I suppose the next thing you'll be suggesting is that, because
Postgres is a database, the documentation should be stored as some
form of searchable table within the database itself....?

<runs and hides/>

------Well, that is exactly what I have done with the MeSH subject
headings.  And it works like a charm.

2) Its also available in chm  windows help file format.  Which i find
allot
more useful
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/
you could print chm to a text file.

------I'll have to boot over to XP, ugh.  Will do.

3)  also it not hard to dump a PDF document into a text file.

------I would print out what the dump looks like, but this is a family
program

4) Would a \h+ that gave you the text from the web-page be useful..?
That,
plus the various man pages, would cover an awful lot of what's in SGML..

 From <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/>:
"The DocBook SGML source for the manuals is available as part of the
PostgreSQL source download available in the FTP area."

-----I'm headed there.  It's just that given the incredibly good
documentation and the fact that it's available in just about every
format except a text file, I was sort of hoping for a policy change on
the part of the powers that be.