comp.database.postgresql.*

От Max
Тема comp.database.postgresql.*
Дата
Re: comp.database.postgresql.*  (Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

Mike Cox sent an email to the newsgroup news.groups last night saying he's
giving up the usenet effort because of resistance here. What a shame.

I can't handle all the emails of this list on my mailbox, and quite frankly
I am interested in reading 10% of the emails only. Someone said earlier that
he does not see the benefit of a usenet group.

Well then, let me explain my little very real situation: I am subscribed to
maybe a good dozen mailing lists in the open source community, I get
litterally a few hundreds emails a day. No need to mention that quite a few
mailing lists do not filter viruses and spam. Another very high volume
mailing list that I follow is the Mono project.

The issue that I have with mailing lists is that I get hundreds of useless
emails (in my case) that fill up my mailbox and eventually my provider will
reject the emails that I actually am interested in.

It's much easier from a reader point of view to deal with a newsgroup than a
mailing list, in my opinion, because you can discard the hundreds of email
you don't need to be bothered with and you can follow the threads that
matter to you.

I am starting to believe that the issue behind all this fuss is an identity
problem: does postgresql want to play side-by-side with the big database
players and have an official, legal and legitimate newsgroup, or does it
want to stay in the closet ?

Max