Re: Things I learned about PG8 on AIX5.3 with XLC compiler

От Mohan, Ross
Тема Re: Things I learned about PG8 on AIX5.3 with XLC compiler
Дата
Список pgsql-general
:-)

LIBPATH=./usr/local/lib:/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/lib:/home/app/postgresql-8.0.2/src/port

While I very much wish I had this little list before I started this, I'd
be loathe to consider it the end of the story.  I'd say, maybe, "A Small Subset
of Helpful Things to Consider".

I can get it to compile under all optimization levels (an optimization level
is a bundle of little features...), but on almost all of them, the runtime
breaks ( e.g. at initdb -D  with "...broken node..." errors)

I am going to try to optimize this thing, still. Several things are in the way:

1) Many (many!) uninitialized variables in code. Optimizers don't
    do well with this.

2) Not clear (to me, a nonprogrammer) whether this is GNU C, ANSI C,
    "Postgres" C, or what the overall coding protocol is. This would
    be helpful in dis-assembling the pre-packaged compiler optimization
    bundles, and just picking the compiler flags the code can withstand.

3)  Compilation with profiling/debugging support appears, also, to break
    the runtime. Makes it hard to...erm...debug.

Anyways, tallyho.

-- Ross

p.s. by the way, there is no more "Visual Age" compiler. It's been re-branded
     as XL C/C++.     :-)