Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?

От Mohan, Ross
Тема Re: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Good question.  If the SCSI system was moving the head from track 1 to 10, and a request then came in for track 5,
couldthe system make the head stop at track 5 on its way to track 10?  That is something that only the controller could
do. However, I have no idea if SCSI does that.

||  SCSI, AFAIK, does NOT do this. What SCSI can do is allow "next" request insertion into head
    of request queue (queue-jumping), and/or defer request ordering to done by drive per se (queue
    re-ordering).   I  have looked, in vain, for evidence that SCSI somehow magically "stops in the
    middle of request to pick up data" (my words, not yours)

The only part I am pretty sure about is that real-world experience shows SCSI is better for a mixed I/O environment.
Notsure why, exactly, but the command queueing obviously helps, and I am not sure what else does.

||  TCQ is the secret sauce, no doubt. I think NCQ (the SATA version of per se drive request reordering)
   should go a looong way (but not all the way) toward making SATA 'enterprise acceptable'. Multiple
   initiators (e.g. more than one host being able to talk to a drive) is a biggie, too. AFAIK only SCSI
   drives/controllers do that for now.

      joining column's datatypes do not match