Re: Image storage questions

От Guy Rouillier
Тема Re: Image storage questions
Дата
Re: Image storage questions  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> External storing is useful but I prefer LO because all my data (binary
> and meta) is all in the same place for management.

But if that's a big L in LO, performance and maintenance will be
negatively affected, perhaps significantly.  The DBMS will have to scan
over all that large binary data to extract text or numeric data.  And
backups will copy that static binary data repeatedly.  For those
reasons, if I'm storing very large objects, like images, that I know
I'll never search or update, I prefer to manage them externally.

--
Guy Rouillier