Re: PG 8.1.1 Cannot allocate shared_buffers memory

От Tomeh, Husam
Тема Re: PG 8.1.1 Cannot allocate shared_buffers memory
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
You're correct on trying and figuring the appropriate value of
shared_buffers for our application which I'd be doing. However, I wanted
to test how far I can get specially that 8.1 removed the limit of 2GB on
a 64-bit architecture like ours. The other thought is that my assumption
(which I may be wrong about) that the RDBMS (postgres in this case) will
do a better job managing and prioritizing the caching of objects, ie.
tables, data, etc than the kernel's cache which doesn't distinguish
indexes from tables,etc. I might be wrong on that (Linux kernel), but
that was my experience with Oracle on a Solaris box.

Thanks,

---

  Husam Tomeh