Re: Yet another fast GiST build

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Yet another fast GiST build
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 2:34 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 3:48 PM Alexander Korotkov
> <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> > > As you can see, Z-order build is on order of magnitude faster. Select performance is roughly the same. Also,
indexis significantly smaller.

> > Cool!  These experiments bring me to following thoughts.  Can we not
> > only build, but also maintain GiST indexes in B-tree-like manner?  If
> > we put Z-value together with MBR to the non-leaf keys, that should be
> > possible.  Maintaining it in B-tree-like manner would have a lot of
> > advantages.
>
> I'm not an expert on GiST, but that seems like it would have a lot of
> advantages in the long term. It is certainly theoretically appealing.
>
> Could this make it easier to use merge join with containment
> operators? I'm thinking of things like geospatial joins, which can
> generally only be performed as nested loop joins at the moment. This
> is often wildly inefficient.

AFAICS, spatial joins aren't going to be as easy as just merge joins
on Z-value.  When searching for close points in two datasets (closer
than given threshold) we can scan some ranges of Z-value in one
dataset while iterating on another.  But dealing with prolonged
spatial objects in not that easy.  In order to determine if there are
matching values in given Z-range you also need to be aware on size of
objects inside that Z-range.  So, before merge-like join you need to
not only sort, but build some index-like structure.

Alternatively you can encode size in Z-value.  But this increases
dimensionality of space and decreases efficiency of join.  Also,
spatial join can be made using two indexes, even just current GiST
without Z-values.  We've prototyped that, see [1].

Links
1. https://github.com/pgsphere/pgsphere/blob/crossmatch_cnode/crossmatch.c

------
Alexander Korotkov