Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take  ("Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Dmitry Ivanov <d.ivanov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> We (PostgresPro) have been working on pg_pathman for quite a while, and
> since it's obviously going to become the thing of the past, it would be a
> wasted effort if we didn't try to participate.
>
> For starters, I'd love to work on both plan-time & run-time partition
> pruning. I created a custom node for run-time partition elimination, so I
> think I'm capable of developing something similar.

That would be fantastic.  I and my colleagues at EnterpriseDB can
surely help review;

Great! And it is very cool that we have basic infrastructure already committed.  Thanks a lot to you and everybody involved.

of course, maybe you and some of your colleagues
would like to help review our patches, too.

We understand our reviewing performance is not sufficient.  Will try to do better during next commitfest.

Do you think this is
likely to be something where you can get something done quickly, with
the hope of getting it into v10?

Yes, because we have set of features already implemented in pg_pathman.  In particular we have following features from your list and some more.

- more efficient plan-time partition pruning (constraint exclusion is too slow)
- run-time partition pruning
- insert (and eventually update) tuple routing for foreign partitions
- hash partitioning
- not scanning the parent

Time is growing short, but it would
be great to polish this a little more before we ship it.

Yes. Getting at least some of this features committed to v10 would be great and improve partitioning usability a lot.

------
Alexander Korotkov
The Russian Postgres Company

Сообщение: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Сообщение: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take