Creating A GIN index on JSONB column (large database)

От Taylor Smith
Тема Creating A GIN index on JSONB column (large database)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all,

I have a database that is in excess of 20TB in size, partitioned by date on a month to month basis.

There is a column within that stores text (validated to be json but not stored as JSONB). I have a requirement to make the json searchable using GIN indexes. however when we try to create the GIN index on AWS RDS our temp storage maxes out which crashes the create process resulting in unhealthy created indexes.

This might be an AWS issue but we are wondering the reason why creating these indexes (concurrently) would cause the temp storage to blow up and crash out and is it possible to mitigate or a necessary evil.

The only solution we have so far is scale up our RDS instance.

Kind regards,

Taylor Smith