Re: corrupted indexes when using base backups generated from hot standby

От Lonni J Friedman
Тема Re: corrupted indexes when using base backups generated from hot standby
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> On 09.01.2013 20:28, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>> I'm running postgres-9.2.2 in a Linux-x86_64 cluster with 1 master and
>> several hot standby servers.  Since upgrading to 9.2.2 from 9.1.x a
>> few months ago, I switched from generating a base backup on the
>> master, to generating it on a dedicated slave/standby (to reduce the
>> load on the master).  The command that I've always used to generate
>> the base backup is:
>> pg_basebackup -v -D /tmp/bb0 -x -Ft -U postgres
>>
>> However, I've noticed that whenever I use the base backup generated
>> from the standby to create a new standby server, many of the indexes
>> are corrupted.  This was never the case when I was generating the
>> basebackup directly from the master.  Now, I see errors similar to the
>> following when running queries against the tables that own the
>> INDEX "debugger_2013_01_dacode_idx" contains unexpected zero page at block
>> 12
>> HINT:  Please REINDEX it.
>> INDEX "smoke32on64tests_2013_01_suiteid_idx" contains unexpected zero
>> page at block 111
>> HINT:  Please REINDEX it.
>>
>> I've confirmed that the errors/corruption doesn't exist on the server
>> that is generating the base backup (I can run the same SQL query which
>> fails on the new standby, successfully).  So it seems that I'm
>> potentially misunderstanding some part of the process.  My setup
>> process is to simply untar the basebackup in the $PGDATA directory,
>> and copy over all the WAL logs into $PGDATA/pg_xlog.
>

> That process sounds correct. Since you're using pg_basebackup -x option, you
> don't even need to copy the WAL logs, although it shouldn't do any harm
> either . The tar file should contain everything needed to restore the
> backup.
>
> Can you provide more information? The log output would be nice. How large is
> the database? What kind of activity is there in the master while the backup
> is taken?

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was out of the office.

The database is about 530GB uncompressed.  The master is quite busy
all the time, with inserts, updates & deletes.

I've attached all the recent errors.  I could send you the entire log
if you'd prefer, its about 800KB compressed.

Вложения