Fwd: ERROR invalid page header in block xxx of relation base/xxxxx/xxxxx/

От Sreekanth Palluru
Тема Fwd: ERROR invalid page header in block xxx of relation base/xxxxx/xxxxx/
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Forgot to loop community

Hi Jorge/All,
Thanks for the reply.
As per the documentation , I think backend reads the this page header and reports that it is damaged.
I am looking at ways we re-create this scenario of creation this blank corrupted page ? do I have any control over Backend and after it initializes a new page using function PageInit(Page page, Size pageSize, Size specialSize) and I want to halt/crash the backend by stopping postgres database or through Hardware/system crash ?
Is this possible ?

Also I see that based on below comments from Source code, having such pages in database is normal . is my understanding correct ?

/*
63  * PageIsVerified
64  * Check that the page header and checksum (if any) appear valid.
65  *
66  * This is called when a page has just been read in from disk. The idea is
67  * to cheaply detect trashed pages before we go nuts following bogus item
68  * pointers, testing invalid transaction identifiers, etc.
69  *
70  * It turns out to be necessary to allow zeroed pages here too. Even though
71  * this routine is *not* called when deliberately adding a page to a relation,
72  * there are scenarios in which a zeroed page might be found in a table.
73  * (Example: a backend extends a relation, then crashes before it can write
74  * any WAL entry about the new page. The kernel will already have the
75  * zeroed page in the file, and it will stay that way after restart.) So we
76  * allow zeroed pages here, and are careful that the page access macros
77  * treat such a page as empty and without free space. Eventually, VACUUM
78  * will clean up such a page and make it usable.
79  */
zero_damaged_pages (boolean)

Detection of a damaged page header normally causes PostgreSQL to report an error, aborting the current transaction. Setting zero_damaged_pages to on causes the system to instead report a warning, zero out the damaged page in memory, and continue processing. This behavior will destroy data, namely all the rows on the damaged page. However, it does allow you to get past the error and retrieve rows from any undamaged pages that might be present in the table. It is useful for recovering data if corruption has occurred due to a hardware or software error. You should generally not set this on until you have given up hope of recovering data from the damaged pages of a table. Zeroed-out pages are not forced to disk so it is recommended to recreate the table or the index before turning this parameter off again. The default setting is off, and it can only be changed by a superuser.