Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function

От Michael Nolan
Тема Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:23 AM, Nick Dro <postgresql@walla.co.il> wrote:
Hi,
Why PostgreSQL doesn't have build-in function to calculate percentage? somthing like percent(number,%
for example:
select percent(100,1) will calculate 1% of 100 = 1
select percent(25,20) will calculate 20% of 25 = 5

Seems like a nice addition to the math functions list:

This is veryhelpull function, many uses percentage calculation in thier work and it will simplify the process. Percentage calculation is considered a basic math operation and I think postgresql should support it as a build-in function.
Seems like easy to implment isn't it?

It's a bit trickier than that, because you';ll have to deal with integers, real, double precision, etc.  You may also want to deal with null values.  I found it more useful to write a function that displays X as a percentage of Y, rounded to 1 digit to the right of the decimal point.
--
Mike Nolan