Re: Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Re: PostgreSQL needs percentage function
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Nick Dro <postgresql@walla.co.il> wrote:

Hi,
I know how to implement this. It's not the issue.
It's very easy to implement absolute value as well yet still PostgreSQL gives abs(x) function which is build in function.
My claim is that if there is a build in function for absolute value why not for percentage? Both are very basic mathematical operations.

Can you give a good reason why absolute value has a build in function while percentage is not?

Frankly, the name "percent​" is a poor choice: am I supposed to input two number and it gives me the percentage that the first is of the second (division) or, at you think here, I input a number and a percentage to multiply them?  And why is percent >1 as opposed to (generally) between 0 and 1?

abs(x) has only one input and so none of those questions apply to it.

David J.