Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thursday, April 17, 2014, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
no -- I got you. My point was, that's a pure guess unless you base it
on evidence recorded on the page itself.  Without that evidence,
(which requires writing) the operating is in a a better place to make
that guess so it's probably better to defer that decision.

Well, we'd only need that info to be stored in the buffer cache somehow- wouldn't have to go to disk or cause more I/O, of course. My thinking was that we could track it with the existing counter too, avoiding even that small amount of locking to write to the buffer page.

Thanks,

Stephen