Re: Increased storage size of jsonb in pg15

От Sean Flaherty
Тема Re: Increased storage size of jsonb in pg15
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have included your suggestion to document any changes to the default Postgres settings to the Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL updates page in our ticket with AWS.

On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 9:43 AM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 12/29/23 07:21, Sean Flaherty wrote:
> What we found is that using lz4 compression on JSONB data is 20-25%
> larger on disk than pglz.  We are running a production workload that is
> storing jsonb data with a focus read performance.  The documented
> increase in write speed wasn't a large benefit, however, the increase in
> storage size moved the bulk of our data into TOAST and off the JSON
> performance cliff ("2-10× slower queries") described by Evan
> <https://www.evanjones.ca/postgres-large-json-performance.html> was
> impactful.
>
> This
> <https://www.postgresql.fastware.com/blog/what-is-the-new-lz4-toast-compression-in-postgresql-14> article does a nice job describing the differences between pglz and lz4 compression for different data but does not include json or jsonb.
>
> I believe validation of our numbers and additional documentation on the
> trade-offs in compression types would be very useful.

Yes, that would be useful.

Also per this:

"Working with AWS, we found that starting in RDS Postgres 15, the
default_toast_compression parameter is set to use lz4 compression
instead of pglz."

there is a discussion to be had with AWS about the advisability of
changing defaults without testing what that does to the end user or
notifying the end user.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com