Re: Increased storage size of jsonb in pg15

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Increased storage size of jsonb in pg15
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/29/23 07:21, Sean Flaherty wrote:
> What we found is that using lz4 compression on JSONB data is 20-25%
> larger on disk than pglz.  We are running a production workload that is
> storing jsonb data with a focus read performance.  The documented
> increase in write speed wasn't a large benefit, however, the increase in
> storage size moved the bulk of our data into TOAST and off the JSON
> performance cliff ("2-10× slower queries") described by Evan
> <https://www.evanjones.ca/postgres-large-json-performance.html> was
> impactful.
>
> This
> <https://www.postgresql.fastware.com/blog/what-is-the-new-lz4-toast-compression-in-postgresql-14> article does a nice
jobdescribing the differences between pglz and lz4 compression for different data but does not include json or jsonb.

> I believe validation of our numbers and additional documentation on the
> trade-offs in compression types would be very useful.

Yes, that would be useful.

Also per this:

"Working with AWS, we found that starting in RDS Postgres 15, the
default_toast_compression parameter is set to use lz4 compression
instead of pglz."

there is a discussion to be had with AWS about the advisability of
changing defaults without testing what that does to the end user or
notifying the end user.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Sean Flaherty
Сообщение: Re: Increased storage size of jsonb in pg15
От: Sean Flaherty
Сообщение: Re: Increased storage size of jsonb in pg15