Rationale for PUBLIC having CREATE and USAGE privileges on the schema"public" by default

От Olegs Jeremejevs
Тема Rationale for PUBLIC having CREATE and USAGE privileges on the schema"public" by default
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm aware that these default privileges are documented:

However, I'm unable to find any reasoning behind their existence. Normally, one can just revoke them and move on, but they have caused me some trouble in a managed deployment (Compose, where you can't login as the owner of the schema or as a superuser, so it's impossible to do the revocation, so you're essentially forced to use a non-public schema), and I would like to understand the need for them.

I assume they make it a bit easier for new users to try out the database, and I see that they go at least as far as 7.3, but has there been any discussion of removing them? And if so, why was it decided to keep them?

Regards,
Olegs