Re: [HACKERS] Simplify ACL handling for large objects and removal ofsuperuser() checks

От Vaishnavi Prabakaran
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Simplify ACL handling for large objects and removal ofsuperuser() checks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 9:04 AM, Vaishnavi Prabakaran
<vaishnaviprabakaran@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I did realize on further reading the patch and what led to the
> confusion is that in the 3rd patch , updated documentation(copied below)
> still says that reading from a descriptor opened with INV_WRITE is possible.
> I think we need some correction here to reflect the modified code behavior.
>
> +     or other transactions.  Reading from a descriptor opened with
> +     <symbol>INV_WRITE</symbol> returns data that reflects all writes of
> +     other committed transactions as well as writes of the current
> +     transaction.

Indeed, you are right. There is an error here. This should read as
"INV_READ | INV_WRITE" only. Using "INV_WRITE" implies that reads
cannot happen.

Thanks for correcting.

I moved the cf entry to "ready for committer", and though my vote is for keeping the existing API behavior with write implying read, I let the committer decide whether the following behavior change is Ok or not.
"Reading from a large-object descriptor opened with INV_WRITE is NOT possible"

Thanks & Regards,
Vaishnavi
Fujitsu Australia.