Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]

От Rahila Syed
Тема Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 22:23, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Here's v6 of this patch.  I have rebased on top of today's CLUSTER
monitoring, as well as on table AM commits.  The latter caused a bit of
trouble, as now the number of blocks processed by a scan is not as easy
to get as before; I added a new entry point heapscan_get_blocks_done on
heapam.c to help with that.  (I suppose this will need some fixups later
on.)

I removed the "M of N" phase labels that Robert didn't like; those were
suggested by Rahila and upvoted by Amit L.  I'm of two minds about
those.  If you care about those and want them back, please speak up.

I see value in reporting those numbers because it gives user insight into where
we are at in the whole process without having to refer to documentation or code.
Besides here also we are reporting facts as we follow for other metrics.

I agree that it will be most effective if the phases are carried out in succession
which is not the case every time and its relevance varies for each command
as mentioned upthread by Alvaro and Robert. But I feel as long as we have in
the documentation that some phases overlap, some are mutually exclusive hence
may be skipped etc. reporting `phase number versus total phases` does provide
valuable information.
We are able to give user a whole picture in addition to reporting progress within phases.

Thank you,
--
Rahila Syed
Performance Engineer