Re: Direct SSL connection and ALPN loose ends

От Jacob Champion
Тема Re: Direct SSL connection and ALPN loose ends
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 7:20 AM Dave Cramer <davecramer@postgres.rocks> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 at 09:37, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> "SSL". Technically, the proper term is TLS, and even the document refers to "IANA TLS ALPN Protocol IDs" (TLS, not
SSL).
>> I would not die on that hill, however, going for tlsnegotiation would look better than sslnegotiation.
>
> +1 again, unusual to use SSL when this really is TLS.

This was sort of litigated last ye-(checks notes) oh no, three years ago:

    https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CE12DD5C-4BB3-4166-BC9A-39779568734C%40yesql.se

I'm your side when it comes to the use of the TLS acronym, personally,
but I think introducing a brand new option that interfaces with
sslmode and sslrootcert and etc. while not being named like them would
be outright unhelpful. And the idea of switching everything to use TLS
in docs seemed to be met with a solid "meh" on the other thread.

--Jacob