Re: [GENERAL] Call for users to talk about table partitioning

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Call for users to talk about table partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
Shirley,
I am a bit confused. AFAIK, it is PostgreSQL that is responsible for table partitioning. PgAdmin4 is just an administrative tool.
Are you saying that PgAdmin4 now can make partition tables automatically?

I think maybe she just means that their GUI is pgadmin4 for reference as opposed to the partitioning being IN pgadmin4.

If she'd like to set up a discussion thread HERE on partitioning I'm more than willing to add to it.

More importantly, while I think the postgresql documentation on partitioning gives you everything you need to roll your own, it doesn't inform you on all the ways to do partitioning for various jobs. That's where partitioning gets interesting and requires business requirements and all that fun stuff.

Do you hand off maintenance jobs to cron or do you check and run it every time a function's called etc.

Do you put materialized views on top to stop scanning all the partitions ever?

fun fun.

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Call for users to talk about table partitioning
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Call for users to talk about table partitioning