Re: Server to run Postgresql

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: Server to run Postgresql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 03/11/2012 23:08, Bob Pawley wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have an unused computer which I am considering turning into a server
>> to run my Postgresql database.
>>
>> Is this even possible to do?
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> Of course.
>
>> If so, can someone suggest an open source server that is relatively easy
>> to set up? Windows based would be ideal.
>
> Is this for home use? - if so I'd go for Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which are
> both very easy to set up and have comprehensive software repositories.
> Linux Mint has a more traditional desktop interface; Ubuntu has its new
> Unity interface which you may or may not like.
>
> If you really want MS Windows and have a spare licence for it, there's
> no problem installing PG on it with the EDB installer.

Also note that there are real connection and kernel limits on a
non-server version of Windows as well.  While these won't likely show
up in home usage they're there.

For Ubuntu on an older machine, Xubuntu might be a better choice as
the GUI is much lighter weight.  That said I recently installed Ubuntu
12.04 on a 512MB / Pentium D 32 bit machine from back in the day and
it works.  Slower than my netbook, but it works.