FreeBSD 11 compiling from source cannot find readline headers

От Keith Fiske
Тема FreeBSD 11 compiling from source cannot find readline headers
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
The current version of FreeBSD 11 cannot compile the PostgreSQL from source without adding the --with-includes flag to the configure option

configure: error: readline header not found
If you have libedit already installed, see config.log for details on the
failure.  It is possible the compiler isn't looking in the proper directory.
Use --without-readline to disable libedit support.

Doing the following command, after ensuring that the readline package/port is installed, allows the configure to work

./configure --with-includes=/usr/local/include

I noticed this issue mostly because I remembered on FreeBSD 10, I did not even need to have the readline package explicitly installed and the configure would still work perfectly fine, even confirming it could find the readline headers. This was because previously, FreeBSD10 seemed to include the readline header by default:

freebsd10% sudo find / -type f -name readline.h
/usr/include/readline/readline.h
/usr/include/edit/readline/readline.h

Whereas, the package installs the header to /usr/local, which is the proper location for it if it's not included as part of the system libraries anymore. Seems this inconsistency was fixed in FreeBSD11?:

freebsd11%  sudo find / -type f -name readline.h
/usr/include/edit/readline/readline.h
/usr/local/include/readline/readline.h

So, I'm not sure if this is an issue with FreeBSD not having the userspace includes in some sort of default PATH, or if the PostgreSQL "configure" script now needs to look in the proper userspace location for the readline includes.

--
Keith Fiske
Senior Database Engineer

Сообщение: Re: NOTIFY does not work as expected
Сообщение: Re: NOTIFY does not work as expected