Re: Determine potential change in table size after a column dropped?

От Wells Oliver
Тема Re: Determine potential change in table size after a column dropped?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
So, there's really no way to reclaim space from a dropped column other than entirely creating a new table?

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 12:28 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Sat, 2022-01-22 at 09:08 -0800, Wells Oliver wrote:
> I need only drop the column and VACUUM FULL the table, and not the entire DB, right?

Not that VACUUM (FULL) will *not* physically get rid of a dropped column,
as it just copies the complete rows to a new table.

You would need something like:

CREATE TABLE newtab (LIKE oldtab);
INSERT INTO newtab SELECT * FROM oldtab;

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Сообщение: Re: Determine potential change in table size after a column dropped?
Сообщение: Re: Determine potential change in table size after a column dropped?