Re: [pgAdmin][RM-2341]: Add menu option for starting PSQL

От Nikhil Mohite
Тема Re: [pgAdmin][RM-2341]: Add menu option for starting PSQL
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers
Hi Dave,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 6:37 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 2:00 PM Nikhil Mohite <nikhil.mohite@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Dave,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:08 AM Nikhil Mohite <nikhil.mohite@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Dave/ Team,

We are facing an issue with winpty.dll on Windows server 2016 and Windows 7(these are platforms on which we have tested).
Files required for winpty are present in the site-packages but still, it is unable to load the winpty.dll file on these specific platforms. We have tested it on Windows 10 pro and Windows server 2019 and it is working fine. (Also tried building the local pywinpty but unable to build it.)  ref link for winPty https://github.com/rprichard/winpty#:~:text=winpty%20is%20a%20Windows%20software,in%20a%20Cygwin%2FMSYS%20pty.

Does winpty.exe run, if executed from the command line instead of pgAdmin? If not, does dependency walker show any missing libraries that are required?
Not found the winpty.exe in site packages, but as per the winpty documents "winpty-agent.exe" will start the process with a new, hidden console window. It is not showing any error while installing the package. I tried to use it outside the pgAdmin but still facing the same error "Exception in import winpty DLL load failed while importing winpty: The specified procedure could not be found."(created a separate python environment for this)

1. if try to run winpty-agent.exe from the command line, it shows the user entered inputs on the same terminal, not showing any errors.
image.png

2. I found winpty.exe in the other installed app (Git command line: C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\usr\bin) if try to run it through the command line not getting any error, it is showing user entered inputs on the same terminal. (It is not related to pgAdmin but just tried to check winpty.exe throwing any error or not)
image.png

Hmmm, that sounds oddly similar to an issue I had with Kerberos on Windows when I was mucking around with that. I can't remember the exact details, but as a test, does the problem go away if winpty.dll is copied into the Windows system32 directory?
Tried it but still facing the same issue.

Until we found the solution we can do the following solution for this.
1. We can add check if specific windows platform is not supporting winpty, show error msg when user open psql tool
image.png
2. Diable the psql on these platforms by setting ENABLE_PSQL=False.

If anyone has any other solution please let me know.

Regards,
Nikhil Mohite.