Re: [PG13] Planning (time + buffers) data structure in explain plan (format text)

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: [PG13] Planning (time + buffers) data structure in explain plan (format text)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:30 PM Pierre Giraud <pierre.giraud@dalibo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As far as I understand, in the upcoming version 13, information about
> buffers used during planning is now available in the explain plan.

Indeed.

> […]
>  Planning Time: 0.203 ms
>    Buffers: shared hit=14
> […]
>
> In the JSON format, the data structure is a bit different:
>
> […]
>      "Planning": {
>        "Planning Time": 0.533,
>        "Shared Hit Blocks": 14,
>        "Shared Read Blocks": 0,
>        "Shared Dirtied Blocks": 0,
>        "Shared Written Blocks": 0,
>        "Local Hit Blocks": 0,
>        "Local Read Blocks": 0,
>        "Local Dirtied Blocks": 0,
>        "Local Written Blocks": 0,
>        "Temp Read Blocks": 0,
>        "Temp Written Blocks": 0
>      },
> […]
>
> For a matter of consistency, I wonder if it would be possible to format
> it like the following:
>
> […]
>  Planning:
>    Planning Time: 0.203 ms
>    Buffers: shared hit=14
> […]

I agree that this output looks more consistent with other output,
including JIT as you mentioned.  I'll send a patch for that if there's
no objection.

Out of curiosity, is the current text output actually harder to parse
than the one you're suggesting?