Re: Trying to understand postgres crash

От Hanns Hartman
Тема Re: Trying to understand postgres crash
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Hanns Hartman <hwhartman@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Best guess is that something sent the background writer process a
>>> SIGUSR2 signal.
>
>> One other thought, my current setup mainly interacts with postgresql
>> via libpq and very rarely via psql.  I have four connections open to
>> postgresql, two of which are connected to one database and two
>> connected to another.  Could that set up or some bad usage of libpq be
>> leading to this signal being generated?
>
> Shouldn't.  You're not running the client-side code as the postgres
> user, are you?  Barring a surprising kernel bug, only postgres-owned
> or root-owned processes could successfully issue kill(SIGUSR2) against
> the background writer process, so that set of processes is where you
> need to look.  I'd first try getting rid of any operations that are
> running under the postgres account but don't really need to do so.

Nope the client side code is not running as the postgres user, but it
is running as root.
Unfortunately most daemons in our system run as root.  Also a quick
check or our code base yielded no usages of kill with SIGUSR2.  We do
however use kill with other signals.

I will continue digging, but thanks a lot for the help!  At least I
can narrow down my search a bit ;-)
-HH