Re: Transparent exchange BDE from Oracle to PostgreSQL

От Erik Darling
Тема Re: Transparent exchange BDE from Oracle to PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
unsubscribe

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
On 03/02/14 01:18, Edson Richter wrote:
Em 02/02/2014 04:24, John R Pierce escreveu:
On 2/1/2014 4:26 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 02/01/2014 03:26 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 2/1/2014 3:18 PM, Edson Richter wrote:
It is possible to put a PostgreSQL database in substitution of a
Oracle database for an app running BDE?
Any tips (beyond obvious "check Oracle specific funcionality")?

what is BDE  ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland_Database_Engine

if its using ODBC or something to connect to Oracle, then you should be able to use ODBC to connect to PostgreSQL.

Will the Borland TurboWhatever code run as-is?  well, that depends on what its doing with Oracle.  good luck.

Thanks - my thoughts, perhaps, was if someone with experience on BDE could give some light here :-) - I'm not a BDE expert myself; that's why I'm looking for help.
BDE is some kind of "obscure" technology - it needs some special drivers, and I honestly don't know if it will work with pure ODBC. Even with Oracle, I had trouble because I've to install those software in certain sequence otherwise drivers are not added to Windows registry (I hate it).
I appreciate your insights and your time.

Regards,

Edson

Possibly you could consider up grading to Linux first?
(Not being entirely facetious!)

PostgreSQL runs better on Linux, as I suspect Oracle also does.

Cheers,
Gavin