Re: Transparent exchange BDE from Oracle to PostgreSQL

От Alfonso Afonso
Тема Re: Transparent exchange BDE from Oracle to PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi everybody

I have not follow all the advices and answer you probably has received, so my apologises if I repeat something ;)

I have been working with Delphi/BDE over 14 years and some projects had to be moved from one database system to another
thanksto ODBC layer BUT you have to consider that if you are using some storeproc or functions in your querys, most of
themcould not be compatible.

So, in my personal case, that transparent movement was imposible but not too hard to fix.... mainly functions in querys
andsome internals on RDBMS (triggers and procs).

Anyway, there are some other connection methods today rather than the old BDE (it's a bit obsolete) that maybe you
wouldconsider now as you have this changing work plan ahead... maybe it worth the time and efforts.

Best luck with all that stuff.

Regards

Alfonso

El 02/02/2014, a las 16:28, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> escribió:

> On 03/02/14 01:18, Edson Richter wrote:

>>> if its using ODBC or something to connect to Oracle, then you should be able to use ODBC to connect to PostgreSQL.
>>>
>>> Will the Borland TurboWhatever code run as-is?  well, that depends on what its doing with Oracle.  good luck.
>>>

>> Thanks - my thoughts, perhaps, was if someone with experience on BDE could give some light here :-) - I'm not a BDE
expertmyself; that's why I'm looking for help.
>> BDE is some kind of "obscure" technology - it needs some special drivers, and I honestly don't know if it will work
withpure ODBC. Even with Oracle, I had trouble because I've to install those software in certain sequence otherwise
driversare not added to Windows registry (I hate it).